Skip to main content

lu's july favourites

 It's time for another favourites post! July was a pretty slow month for me - I'm home from university, not working, so I'm not getting up to too much. Regardless, I managed to find some good in an overall quite boring month. This post is best viewed on desktop or desktop mode.

Favourite song: WannaCry - Ninajirachi and Porter Robinson

The long-anticipated Porterjirachi collab is finally here! I've loved Porter and Nina for about a year now, so WannaCry is the perfect crossover for me. This song is like the Bible for people who've watched Evangelion seven plus times. Like most of Nina and Porter's music, it manages to sound both brand new and nostalgic at the same time. I can't get the rhythm of "I've been everywhere / through every undefended door" out of my head. Highly recommend if you like hyperpop, EDM, or anything similar.


Favourite food: Pancakes

They're just so versatile. You can do anything you want to a pancake, though my personal favourite topping is honey. I don't have too much more to say about pancakes. They're good.

Favourite album: I Brought You My Bullets - My Chemical Romance

Since seeing My Chem live this month, I've had Bullets on repeat. I'm still pressed I missed the only Bullets song on the setlist that night, to be honest. Bullets speaks to a part of me that's still an angsty thirteen year old trying to find his place in this music scene. It's shaped my music taste to this day, with me getting into new post-hardcore releases because I grew up on Bullets. Static Dress are a notable example. My favourite song on the album is, and always has been, Our Lady Of Sorrows.


Favourite day: Tie!

My favourite day in July is a tie between the day I saw My Chem live, and the day I went to an intimate album release Holding Absence show and meet and greet. I've already written about the day I saw My Chem extensively on this blog, so if you want to know more about it, you can go read that. But, the intimate Holding Absence show might deserve a blog post of its own someday. It was just lovely. First, we heard thirty seconds of every song on the new album, Modern Life is Lonely, releasing August 28th. Then, we voted for which one we wanted to hear in full later that night. The band came out, played the singles live lo-fi style, which was strangely beautiful and catchy. Lo-fi beats to open the pit to style. Then came a little Q&A session with the band, where plenty of banter was had and plenty of stage gay was shown off. Then, we listened to the song we collectively voted for - Kyoto Snow, the album closer. My favourite part of the song was the refrain "I will find you and love you in every lifetime" being sung in English, Welsh, French, and Japanese. Afterwards, we did a short pub quiz on the band, in which I came second and therefore won a rare bucket hat merch piece. Finally, it was meet and greet time. I managed to say my piece on the band's music getting me through the past two years of pure hell, was met in return with plenty of kindness, and had banter with Scott about hating each others F1 teams. It was all lighthearted, though, because at the end of the conversation, he gave me a pick of his with a drawing of him in F1 gear on
and told me he'd been saving it for me since the pub quiz. What a sweet group of guys they are.

Favourite item: Phone smiski

I obviously can't really attach a photo of this one, but trust me, it's adorable. It's so nice to have something that brings me a bit of joy on me at all times. I still get so excited when he glows.

Comments

  1. absolutely banger post 🙂‍↕️ i really enjoyed hearing about your lovely meet and greet experience

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"untoward mass reactions": antipsychiatry and nuclear weapons

Recently, I wrote an essay for a module on nuclear politics and strategy (yes, I am the classic international relations student, but I swear it’s in a red way, okay?). I was answering a question I’d put together myself – “Why is the United States Strategic Bombing Survey (1946) incomplete in its overview of the impacts of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima?” I formulated that essay question thinking it’s a pretty simple answer; the more subjective, emotional, human impacts go practically ignored. The survey speaks only of ports, roads, fires, deaths, radiation sickness, the influence of the bomb on Japanese surrender and warfighting morale. I took understandable issue with that omission, so I decided that would be my criticism, my answer. But, as I pushed my argument further and kept asking “okay, but why?” as I made each subsequent point, I kept landing on my arch nemesis – psychiatry. Now, this isn’t something I could exactly center my international relations essay on. It can be made re...

in defense of endogenic systems

My system is traumagenic; formed due to childhood trauma. I've long wanted to write about antipsychiatry and mad liberation specifically relating to plurality and systemhood. There's only one way to do that - defend endogenic systems. I hope after this you'll defend them with me, reader. Let me set the scene first. Plurality, or systemhood, refers to an experience where one person has more than one separate identity, sense of self, memory, et cetera; as if more than one person occupies one body. This, generally, is said to come about due to dissociation during childhood trauma. Endogenic systems (shorthand 'endos') are plural systems which did not form due to trauma. There are many ways they could form, but childhood trauma isn't one of them. There's long been infighting in system communities where traumagenic systems ('people with DID/OSDD') see endogenic systems as faking a serious illness, as taking away resources from 'real systems,' and ...

survivors guilt

tw / death of a parent, suicide, drug use, psychiatric abuse, self harm, brief mention of suicide methods i'm sat in bed, in a position my hip really doesn't like, eating one of the few foods i can for the next few days. it's an aero mousse dessert thing, if you were wondering. yesterday, i got an angry wisdom tooth pulled, and yesterday, i got diagnosed with bipolar disorder on the way to getting said angry wisdom tooth pulled. i knew it was coming - there was no way even the stupidest psychiatrist on their angriest day could see anything else in me. well, except autism, but that's a whole other ballgame. when i went into that long-awaited appointment, in the psych-ward-not-quite (no bedrooms, but certainly a psych ward), i knew what was going to happen when i got out. i would wait a few days, he would consult, he would prescribe. that's exactly what happened, he was right when he said i seemed clued up. bipolar affective disorder type two and lamotrigine tapering ...